Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Try Again for Indian Mound Reserve.


Twinleaf. April 25, 2018.
I think first time I went Indian Mound Reserve, I not really appreciate it enough. Massie Creek Gorge is beautiful. Maybe I was too much early, there was still snow. Maybe they not really have many early spring wildflowers in this gorge, not many Hepatica. Maybe I did not look for snow trillium in the right area.
In late April I went again to Indian Mound Reserve. Now happen I understand, it is a very beautiful area. I am sorry I doubt anything.

There are many many things for see in mid spring, many wildflowers, and best, if you have rain recently, water spout from rocks. This is all Ordovician limestone and shale, and limestone cut really easy with water and spout through caves in rock, and drip through in overhang area in Massie Creek Gorge. It is streams, or groundwater, I don't know which. It is very cold and clear.

Maybe first I will talk about some not native flowers I saw close to Williamson Mound and the parking area. I don't care if they are native or not native, I want to know them. New for me are Bird's-Eye Speedwell (Veronica persica) and Winter Cress (Barbarea vulgaris). They are both common in disturbed areas and fields. I have some bird's-eye speedwell outside my home! Other "new" not native plants for me are Hairy Bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta) and Common Mullein (Verbascum thapsis). I see common mullein before, but this is first time I take picture it. It will have big yellow flower stalk later. I see hairy bittercress many areas this year, Caesar Creek Gorge, Clifton Gorge, lawn outside my home, but happen I never realize it is this plant! It is everywhere!
Haploa? caterpillar on Hydrophyllum leaf

Wild Stonecrop (Sedum ternatum)

Miterwort (Mitella diphylla)

Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum biflorum)

Ragwort (Packera sp.)

Twinleaf
Skunk Cabbage
There are many many native wildflowers in Indian Mound Reserve. Most are in Massie Creek Gorge, or on left side slope walk from parking area. There are too much too many for tell all, so I will only talk about some. I was really happy for see Skunk Cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus) for first time. Flowers are finished now, but I know where to find it next year. I was also really happy see full bloom open Twinleaf (Jeffersonia diphylla) flowers for first time! When I saw them in Caesar Creek Gorge and Davey Woods they were not yet open or really close finished. It was very nice warm day, so happen they open and bloom for me.

There are Virginia Bluebell (Mertensia virginica) everywhere in Massie Creek Gorge. I think this is most virginia bluebells I see forever.
Wild Geranium
Wood Anemone
Some other native flowers I see, Wild Geranium (Geranium maculatum), and Wood Anemone (Anemone quinquefolia). Second is life list plant for me.
Massie Creek Falls
Sycamore
Dryad's Saddle
There is this very old broken sycamore (Plantanus occidentalis) close to Massie Creek Falls, and there were some large mushrooms growing from it. I think this is Dryad's Saddle (Polyphorus squamosus), it is a polyphore mushroom and it likes many kinds trees.

I will come to Indian Mound Reserve next spring, certain!

No comments:

Post a Comment