Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Davey Woods

Giant Blue Cohosh. Davey Woods SNP, April 24, 2018.
I wish we still have all our old forests with big trees. There are still some in Ohio, but they are very small. I went to Davey Woods State Nature Preserve in Tuesday, because I hear from Ohio Wildflowers that happen blue cohosh species (Caulophyllum) are start now blooming.
Tuesday was wet and cloudy and cold. I was alone.  If I am not wearing warm clothes, wet and cold is terrible worst weather forever. But if I have warm clothes, three layers, hat, and boots, wet and cold only a little bit distracting. I think really difficult distracted from Davey Woods in any weather. And because I am alone and everything is quiet, I am focused. There are wildflowers everywhere.
Red Oak
Some trees in Davey Woods are 3 or 4 feet wide and 150 feet tall. This is a very big oak, I think red oak (Quercus rubra). My bag is 1 foot wide.
Giant Blue Cohosh
 
I see immediately one flower I want see today, Early or Giant Blue Cohosh (Caulophyllum giganteum). It is not common in Ohio, more often you see Blue Cohosh (C. thalictroides), but I did not see yellow Blue Cohosh flowers today, only purple. Blue Cohosh bloom a little bit more later more than Giant Cohosh, so happen maybe they are not yet ready. I can see C. thalictroides in Wright State Woods.
Yellow Trout Lily
When I walk down into ravine, I start find yellow trout lily (Erythronium americanum) everywhere. When I went Caesar Creek Gorge I maybe saw 10 or 20. I think in Davey Woods I saw hundreds.
 
Twinleaf (Jeffersonia diphylla) are a little bit more rare wildflowers, so happen I am happy see many today. It is cold so happen they are not open.
Ohio Buckeye (Aesculus glabrus)
In ravine there is small stream, I think small tributary for Nettle Creek. Later it flow into Mad River, and into Miami River, Ohio River, and finally Mississippi, but it start very small. I not see fish in the water, but maybe they hide.
Spring Beauty, Yellow Trout Lily, and Harbinger-of-Spring
Harbinger-of-Spring
Hispid Buttercup
Large Flower Trillium
Large Flower Bellwort
There are many nice spring wildflowers in Davey Woods, Squirrel Corn (Dicentra canadensis) Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria), Spring Beauty (Claytonia virginica), Harbinger-of-Spring (Erigenia bulbosa) and Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) (now finished), Large Flower Trillium (Trillium grandifolium), Toadshade (Trillium sessile), Large Flower Bellwort (Uvularia grandiflora), Hispid Buttercup (Ranunculus hispidus), Rue Anemone (Thalictrum thalictrioides), Cutleaf Toothwort (Cardamine concatenata), and I know more I am forgetting.
When I start walk up to ridge from ravine, rain has stopped, and now I am hearing only birds. And, I stop, because I hear, Who who who WHO whoo who, Great Horned Owl or Barred Owl, I am not certain which. I heard it call 3 times that way. It was dark and cloudy, and I know sometimes owls do that. I really feel that day I am in different world, special world.
On ridge it is very different habitat. I think recently volunteers remove garlic mustard here, so happen there are less than herb plants. I am happy for find yellow haze, Spicebush (Lindera benzoin) flowers on many many bushes. There is not really a lot honeysuckle in this preserve, and that make me really happy.
On high ridge there is small cemetery for family in 19th century, Pence Family Cemetery. Because grave stones are old style, tall and thin, they break and happen some people fix them with cement.
False Mermaidweed
When I am start leave, I finally find other plant I am hope see today, False Mermaidweed (Floerkea prosepinacoides). It is small and weird and hope I find it in ravine with all Harbinger-of-Spring, but no, happen it is really close entrance, other side loop trail. False mermaidweed has small green flowers, and they are not yet open. This also very difficult plant take picture, because it like grow clumps together. Davey Woods is really beautiful old forest. I hope I will come here again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment