Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Miterwort and Bellwort.

So happen maybe people are tired about Clifton Gorge, but I don't care. I really love this area, and it has the best spring wildflowers in Greene County, maybe southwest Ohio. It was warm and sunny yesterday, really nice weather, and I found some flowers I did not see before.
Miterwort
I have never seen Miterwort (Mitella diphylla), but now I know it is very small! Miterwort has tiny tiny snowflake shape flowers. In March I saw it, but only the two opposite leave were open. Most Clifton Gorge miterwort is not yet blooming.
Large Flower Bellwort
I also saw Large Flower Bellwort (Uvularia grandiflora). I saw this one time before in Wright State Woods, but I did not take a picture. Bellworts always seem to me they are wilting, but that is their normal way. It is really difficult know this species from the other two Ohio species, but they do not grow in Clifton Gorge.
Toadshade (Trillium sessile) now are blooming. They have a weird red flower and I think some people think it is ugly but I think it is beautiful. Toadshade flowers smell bad so happen flies and beetles visit, not bees.
Large Flower Trillium
Drooping Trillium
False Solomons Seal?
Many plants are not yet ready but are very close. Large Flower Trillium (Trillium grandiflorum) and Drooping Trillium (T. flexipes) will bloom next week, I think, or maybe this weekend. Early Meadow Rue and Smooth Rockcress are also very close. There were many "solomon seal" growing. I do not know if this is Maianthemum or Polygonatum, but I think this is false solomons seal (M. racemosum) because I saw it here last year. May-apple is growing, but it will not bloom until end April. There are many waterleafs and at least two species, but they are only leaves now. Hepatica, Bloodroot, and Purple Cress will finish very soon. And maybe there are one or two Snow Trillium flowers still blooming in Clifton Gorge, I did not see them, but I do not think they will be there after today.
Wild Ginger, with flower
This is the best time for Wild Ginger (Asarum canadense) and Dutchmans Breeches. Wild ginger flowers are little brown sacks and they are ant pollinated so they grow on the ground. If you want to see all these wildflowers you should go this weekend because early Spring is soon finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment