Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The Vignettes of Kolomon Moser


Vignettes. Kolomon Moser. From Ver Sacrum, 1899, issue 4.
In 1899 Kolo Moser made 10 vignettes for the art nouveau magazine Ver Sacrum. I think most people who like art nouveau style don't like Moser, or maybe they think only few of his drawings are good. Many people appreciate how he is maybe first graphic design artist, but if you ask people about Art Nouveau artists they maybe know Gustav Klimt or Alphonse Mucha.
I love his drawings, and I love his most simple drawings best. These vignettes make me remember my early art style. Vignette Four is my favorite, maybe my favorite drawing forever. It is difficult for to know which line join which, and where one line start and stop. It is confusing and playful, it makes me smile.
Untitled, October 2008
I now make different kinds art, but in my old style I prefer one way, and that is black lines only with a little color sometimes. I started drawing this way, and later I learned about art nouveau. Moser inspired me make more line only art, and I still like it. But now I make many kinds of art.
Page from unfinished 'zine. 2016?
Ver Sacrum means "Sacred Spring". My blog name is "Ex Vere Sacro", means "From the Sacred Spring". I am changing, but I still remember kind art I come from. I can't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment